Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Re:Fresh Noise Soul-Pop


Growing up, Saturday mornings meant cartoons. By the time I was old enough to be assigned household chores I was rushing to finish by 11a.m. in order to tune into Soul Train hosted by Don Cornelius.It was my main TV event next to Apollo. I was cheating on the Scooby Doo, but hey even Christina Milian had graduated from the Disney channel to performing on Soul Train during that time. Once a week I could see the hottest up and coming R&B acts perform and then dance to the latest tunes in between performances. Just as much I wanted to see those dancers who were always wearing something "different" yet fly. Music+Dancing+Styling= My type of party!!! I still find myself logging onto Youtube to check out that 70s swag so greatly captured via the Soul Train line and music performances by artists of that time like Al Green or Chaka Khan and Rufus. Today I stumbled upon Maylee Todd via Canadian clothing company, GSUS blog, and can I just say I L.O.V.E. Her! The Canadian songtress possesses both a bright sense of humor and soul. She released her debut album, Choose Your Own Adventure exactly a year ago under Do Right Music  who says 'her colorful imagination is what makes Maylee’s music so captivating'. "It's a collection of my many adventures in my real life and my fantasy world," she muses. She is really a trip, in every sense. Can't wait til she makes a splash stateside. Could you envision her on a Soul Train 2011 or 1976??