Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sarah's Breath


Gone are all the days of begging

The days of theft

No more gasping for a breath

The air filled me head to toe

And I can see the ground far below

I have this breathe and I hold it tight

And I keep it in my chest with all my might

I pray to God this breath will last

As it pushes past my lips as I...

(Between Two Lungs  by Florence + The Machines)

About Photo
La EvoluciĆ³n Silenciosa (The Silent Evolution) by artist Jason deCaires Taylor is an underwater exhibit composed of 400 life-size figures in Cancun, Mexico. "Sarah," modeled after a U.K. linguistics professor, is the only "Silent Evolution" statue with a false lung, according to Taylor. Divers can either fill the lung by blowing bubbles into a hole on her back or using air from their tanks. The air then slowly escapes though the opening in her mouth. The cement figures will change in appearance over time as coral and other marine life takes over—all part of Taylor's vision. "The manifestation of living organisms cohabiting and ingrained in our being is intended to remind us of our close dependency on nature and the respect we should afford it," according to a museum statement.